Saturday, April 28, 2007

And the chaos continues

To the zoo we go......
I can't believe I actually have time to sit and type. Both boys are asleep for short afternoon nap, Pat's out working and the washing machine, dryer and dish washer are full steam ahead.



The boys have gotten their 2nd haircut. As you remember Austin had the major meltdown. Well look at my big boy this time. He did great. He never shed a tear and in fact sat pretty still so Pat could cut it. He still has his one curl right on top of his reservoir. They just look so much older after a haircut. It's hard for me to believe they will be one in about 3 weeks. Where has a year gone?





We went for what we thought was going to be our last RSV synagis but as it turns out they just admitted two kids to the hospital last week. So we scheduled another RSV appointment in conjunction with their 1 year check up and vaccinations. Colby weighed in at 15.14 and Austin was 17.11. They are doing great. We had early intervention and physical therapy and both ladies were extremely impressed with the boys' progress. They could not believe how well Austin is doing crawling forward. Austin has realized there is a whole new world out there if you can move...especially forward. Austin has learned to pull up on things such as the couch, his chair etc. He now has to figure out how to sit down. Right now he gets totally stiff and will attempt the Nestea Plunge.....straight back. Luckily Pat was there to catch him. We are now working on bending the knees and sitting down.





Colby can pull up on the couch and walk all the way around. He can bend down and pick something up and stand back up. He has had to learn if you have something in both hands you can't hold onto to anything.....therefore you fall. Both boys have at least 2 bruises on their foreheads. It always seems to be the 1st thing that hits. Colby hasn't felt that great this weekend as he has 2 teeth breaking through.



He has been pretty fussy most of the time. We've been giving him some Tylenol to see if it helps. I expect those teeth to be through the skin this week. Seems like we've been waiting forever on them.



















We took the boys for their 1st trip to the zoo. They didn't really focus on any of the animals but really seemed to enjoy being outside. They did however like the rooster that hopped on the rail right in front of them. Colby also liked sharing a snow cone with Daddy.



Here is Colby enjoying the blue snow cone with his Daddy. Austin settled for his bottle.



Well I've saved the most devastating news for last. I got notified on Friday at our commissioning ceremony by my boss that I am on a list to deploy this July (29th) to Iraq for one year. Needless to say it made me instantly physically sick. BYU has responded that they didn't think I needed to deploy right now. I called my branch manager who I happen to know from Fort Rucker. His name is Tom and he and Pat and I all commanded together. He's a super guy. I talked to him and reminded him that the previous assignment officer called me last June while we were in the NBICU and requested that I extend one year to hold my position for a soldier in Iraq who would take the position upon his return this spring. I told Tom had I known they were going to deploy me, I would have refused the offer and separated from the Army this summer as I had planned. Tom asked me to send him the email traffic that I have from last summer and that he will do what he can to find a replacement for me. Because I know he cannot continue to protect me and it appears agreements made last year don't hold water I will be submitting my resignation request tomorrow to my boss at BYU. At this time I will plan to start my terminal leave Jan 2nd and will be permanently separated around March 15th. My original separation was not until the end of the school year but it doesn't look like I would be teaching anyway.

Tom, my assignment officer said I should know for sure within the next 2 weeks if they found a replacement for me. I know most of you are thinking.....tell your boss to call, call your congressman etc. I have faith that my resignation will be accepted and there won't be a need for anything other involvement. I can't imagine leaving the boys right now and especially since Austin is due to have brain surgery sometime in July or August. Just keep us in your prayers that everything will work out and that I can separate the Army with a positive attitude and not with a bitter taste in my mouth. I have faithfully dedicated 17 years to the Army but now I know without a doubt it's time to dedicate my life to my boys and whatever their needs are to make them healthy, happy boys. Pray that all will work for what is best for our family and that these two weeks will go by quickly. I hope we'll get an answer prior to then and that I'll be protected from having to deploy. Deals with the Army aren't always what we think they will be.

Alexa

No comments: