Monday, April 23, 2007

A day to remember...or not

A happy couple with a healthy pregnancy

little did we know our world was about to change




It was a year ago today that I was closing out the semester at school. I had sat on two thesis defense boards, posted my grades and was planning to commission several new Army officers that Friday. I knew Friday would be my last day at work due to the agreement I made with my doctor to start working from home. Heck I was only 24 weeks pregnant already on a 4 hour work day so I really couldn't go any shorter than that.

As I was driving home something just didn't seem right though I really felt ok overall. I called my doctor and they suggested I run by the hospital on my way home just to have them check me out. I called Pat and told him it was no big deal and I would jsut meet him at home. Being the caring husband he is, he met me at the hospital anyway. I called Carla and Jen but only got in touch with Jen and told her it was no big deal and I would call her when I was done, plus only being 24 weeks I knew I still had plenty of time. She insisted on meeting me there and in fact was standing at the top of the stairs waiting for me as I pulled into the parking lot giving me the look "how could you not want anyone here with you".

Pat, Jen and I sat in the waiting room for quite awhile. We were laughing and joking because everytime they would come tell me I should have a bed soon, another lady getting ready to deliver would be brought in. Pat left to go to coach at Sean's baseball game in North Salt Lake, about 3o minutes away. I didn't mind because I wasn't worried, in my mind I kept telling myself I had 4 more months to prepare for the boys. I finally got into a room and it was only a matter of minutes when I started having cramping and my back hurt so bad! Little did I know they were contrations. Once they started they were quick and painful. It was weird how one minute we were laughing and the next I was scared to death. Jen tried to call Pat but he couldn't hear his cell phone so he had no idea what was going on at the hospital. After the game he said he had like 17 messages telling him to get to the hospital.

The whole situation was crazy and scary. It's amazing how I can remember so many of the details. They started the mag and put me in the head tilt. Head down and feet up. They also gave me a steroid shot for the boys' lungs. My doctor who is always light hearted and funny was totally different, I guess because he realized the severity. He talked to Pat outside and said they planned to send me to the U of U because he felt sure I was going to deliver that night and there was a very good chance the boys would not survive at 24 weeks.



We went by ambulance and it was the longest 20 minute ride of my life. Pat was in the front and I was in the back with the paramedics. Once at the U of U they monitored me and kept me on the mag that eventually stopped the contractions. I was so glad to finally be moved to a normal room and not with my head down and feet in the air. This was the beginning of a month of "bed rest". Today as I relive that day I am just so thankful that God decided to keep Colby and Austin in just a little longer. My miracle boys are so precious to me and I just can imagine if they had come a year ago today.

To all those especially Carla and Jen who were there when things got crazy and scary...thank you.


No comments: